Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Plants, or at least what's still alive

So I'm kinda a farmer/gardener, not really sure which...but one of the two, meaning I have a plant collection. Most of which are not native to the area I live in. So i decided to throw a blog together with pictures of what's alive right now. I say alive right now b/c I've killed two redwoods and 2 olive trees and 7 stone pines failed to take so far, but I'm keeping some alive.

The first, my stone pine, germinated from seed, shown to the right. It's about 7 inches tall right now and growing at an inch a month, so I think/hope it's going to make it. Originally I had 8 seeds and 6 germinated, but only one survived. Shall see

The next is the Yoshino Cherry Tree, shown to the left. This one's only a few weeks old..and in an enormous pot. I got it as a gift from some friends who know my addiction. They decided to get me a plant/tree that actually grows natively in my area. Unlike the stone pine(but it can easily) and the olive tree(will  never grow outside). It started with 2 buds, and is up to a solid 3 with the lowest growing well. Hoping for it to take an blossom next year so I can get the full cherry tree effect.

Up next are the two Kiwi's, arctic Kiwi..one male and one female b/c you need to have two in order for them to flower and bear fruit. Both are more than kicking right now, actually going semi crazy. So thinking these will work out pretty well. They're also actually suited for the region, so less care is needed.

Lastly is the pride, or hopefully the pride of my collection. The Spanish(or Italian) Olive tree. Green olive's will be the outcome, eventually, and hopefully. I've adjusted the soil to be slightly alkaline, balanced the water inlet and it gets plenty of filtered sunlight. So hopefully it makes it, unlike the other two. Regardless this will be my last olive tree attempt for a few months if it doesn't...but really hope it pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment