Sunday, March 18, 2012

Boxty

So I tried to make boxty..and while not a complete failure, wasn't my best effort. The recipe I found made it wayyy to thick and wasn't very pancake like but, it was a start. So on to the recipe, with notes for how to make it better
Note: Make sure you have some mashed potatoes around, if not..well this recipe takes a while.
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups shredded potatoes
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  •  1 cup flour( I used whole wheat for the first try, next time will be less and almond)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • dash of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon basil
Mix the dry goods in a big ole bowl(i cheated and used a kitchen Ade b/c I'm lazy) mix the wet goods, stir them up and then add to the dry goods. Continue to mix until everything is mixed well.


For stuffing, I sauteed some shrimp, crab, peppers and onions in a side skillet

Heat a griddle, spoon on enough to make a pancake and set to cook about 3-4 min on one side, flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes...and wha-la boxty is done, without filling. For a filling I'd use half as much of the boxty mix, and when i spooned it out, i would add a little filling on top, then put the second spoonful on top of the mix before i flip...and it seemed to work.


Errors
  • It was way to thick, I'm going to cut the flour in half for starters. so 1/2 cup instead.
  • Second is to use more milk, or olive oil. Some more liquidity in the mixture would work well too b/c the batter didn't flow well.

No comments:

Post a Comment